On December 7, 1972, the crew of the final Apollo mission to the Moon—Apollo 17—captured the beautiful image of our planet. Known as the Blue Marble photo, it still stands as one of the best pictures of the entire globe. Satellites in normal orbits, including the Space Shuttle and International Space Station, are too close to take the whole planet in view, so only craft traveling farther can see all of it. We live on a beautiful planet. As we commemorate the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor, we should also remember the wonder of our world and work together to ensure the survival and health of its inhabitants.
Search the site!
Frequently Used Tags
Advent 2012 Advent 2013 Alphabet of Cosmology asteroids Astronomy Big Bang black holes Climate change comets Comics cosmic microwave background cosmic rays CosmoAcademy Cosmology Crackpottery Creationism culture of science dark energy dark matter Earth Education Einstein Evolution exoplanets False Skepticism Fermilab galaxies general relativity gravitation gravitational waves habitable worlds Higgs boson history of science how science works Humor inflation Mars Math Concepts mathematics Milky Way Moon Moonday! Music neutrinos Nobel Prize nuclear physics particle physics Physics Quanta planetary science Pseudoscience pulsars quantum gravity quantum measurement Quantum Mechanics racism radio astronomy relativity Saturn science communication science outreach science writers scientific beauty Scientists sexism sexual harassment Space exploration spaceflight stars supermassive black holes Symmetry The Universe in a Box topology travelblog WIMPs women in science
- @JoshRosenau My niece did when she was that age 5 hours ago
- Excellent thread on Robert Moses, Elon Musk, and the weaponization of urban planning against poor people of color twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski… 5 hours ago
- @MrsHoltzmann AHHH she needs out of that relationship stat! 5 hours ago
- Thread, in which I act as @sondy's filter for a jerk twitter.com/sondy/status/8… 5 hours ago
- Hahahahahahahahaha[deep breath]hahahahahahahahahaha twitter.com/nytopinion/sta… 8 hours ago