Final exams are over and I submitted the course grades to the proper people, so my spring semester is over. What does this mean for the blog? Very likely you will see an increased amount of posting, once I’ve recovered a bit! Rapture!
Speaking of Rapture, I’m going to be at a birthday gathering most of today, so I won’t be liveblogging Armageddon. However, to tide you over until the tidal waves arrive, here are some other resources:
- A classic (and very strange) cartoon from 1928: Koko’s Earth Control (from the innovative Max Fleischer studio), which cheerfully depicts the destruction of Earth.
- Neil Gaiman (on Twitter), “I am slightly less inclined to believe today is Doomsday after learning that Harold Camping’s middle name is Egbert.”
- On a more serious note, Chris Mooney (writing for Mother Jones) explains why a lack of Rapture today will be unlikely to convince true believers.
- When Worlds Collide: Phil Plait estimates the likelihood that Earth will encounter one of the free-agent planets populating our galaxy.
- And, behind the fold, my Rapture play list!
DJ Doctor Hat Man Du’s Rapture Play List:
- (inevitably) “It’s The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)”, R.E.M.
- “The End of the World”, U2
- “A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall”, Bob Dylan
- “Last Night of the World”, Bruce Cockburn
- “Calamity Song”, The Decemberists
- “Feeling Yourself Disintegrate”, The Flaming Lips
- “Flyin’ High in the Friendly Sky”, Marvin Gaye
- “Golden Age”, TV on the Radio
- “Easy Like Sunday Morning”, The Commodores
- “The End”, The Beatles
Leave your own song suggestions in the comments!