In my next CosmoAcademy class, we will take a deeper look at black holes than you’d likely get from most other online courses. Among the topics we’ll discuss:
- The “no-hair theorem”: black holes are described wholly by mass, spin, and electric charge
- Black hole thermodynamics: the temperature and entropy of black holes
- Hawking radiation: how black holes can evaporate
- The “information paradox”: when something falls into a black hole, its identity is lost, so what happens when the black hole evaporates?
- The “firewall paradox”: does Hawking radiation produce a hot barrier at the event horizon, flash-frying anything that crosses?
- The holographic principle: the entropy of a black hole depends on its surface area (which is a two-dimensional property), but the size of a black hole is three-dimensional
The class starts in two weeks, so sign up today! No prior knowledge of black holes, gravity, or quantum physics is needed.